Sunday, March 11, 2012

It's the Death Ride, not the Death Star

Climbing for nine miles makes me a little buggy, I've discovered. The 11% grade, with little 19% walls thrown in for good measure, and curves which, when passed, reveal another bit of climbing, tend to weigh on one's mind after 20 minutes – knowing there are still 5 or 6 miles left. On this climb.

Yesterday, I pulled slightly ahead of my ride group as I was climbing. I found myself alone with my thoughts on the hill. As cycling is 90% mental and 75% physical, this left me with much too much time with my own brain. Suddenly, I was channeling Luke Skywalker.

Me: Oh, Jedi Master, I'm alone on this hill. Will anyone know if I stop?

Obi-Wan: You will, young Jedi. You will.

Me: How much longer is this F**KING hill?

Obi-Wan: Patience, young Jedi. Regard the power lines. As the power lines go, so do you.

Me: I really need to stop. I don't think I can go any further.

Obi-Wan: Don't go to the dark side. Pedal, young Jedi. Ride on.

Confronted with a wide spot in the road, I pushed on. I'll just make it to that bend and hopefully it'll flatten to a 6% grade instead of this heinous 12% I've been climbing. The last mile marker showed 2.9. Is that from the bottom or to the top?

The bend revealed more steep climbing. Argh.

Near the “top” (ie, bend in road which hid more climbing), was another turn out.

I confess. I stopped. I drank water. Glorious water! I ate a few almonds and three chunks of a bar. My heart rate came down to manageable levels. My team mate Lisa caught up to me. Trudged past and did not stop. (Gold star for Lisa).

That 3 minute stop was the best gift I could have given myself. I got back on the bike and started pedaling again. The nourishment kicked in almost immediately and the energy flowed back into my muscles. I caught up to Lisa and we rode the rest of the climb together.

At the top was our fabulous SAG stop. And a bathroom. No better reward!

This was the Team's 6th training ride. We still have four months left to train before the big event. So far, each week has prepared me for the next week. Before I signed up to do this crazy ride, I never thought I'd be doing 6500 feet of climbing in one ride and not feeling dead at the end – even looking forward to next week's punishment!

I ride with a great group of (crazy) dedicated people dedicated to helping fight cancer. I'm honored to ride with and learn from them all. We all could have selected a shorter ride or a flatter ride. But we chose this one. It's hard. Heck, if it were easy, everyone would do it!

No comments: