Tuesday, July 24, 2012

The Last Big Ride

(written June 29)

Where has the time gone? It's the eve of my Last Big Training Ride. And it's a doozy, of course. 110 miles and 12,000 feet of climbing. Current stats show 2377.9 miles ridden and 193,886 vertical feet climbed since that first training ride back in February. Thassalotta chamois butter.

Stretching my training miles end to end along Interstate 80, I have now reached the northern lip of Indiana. Currently I'm about a mile shy of the N 500 W exit and nearly to Michigan. Chicago was hot and humid, as you might imagine for this time of year. While my miles race across the country, I've more than doubled the amount of climbing I would have actually done had I ridden this route instead of going up and down and up and down the smaller hills and larger hills that ring the Bay Area. There's a lot of flat between the Rockies and the Appalachians, Poconos and Blue Ridge Mountains. Not that my training miles will take me that far.

I've learned a lot about my team mates since February. I've learned a lot about myself. Although my co-worker indelicately asked me today why, with all the riding I do am I not as skinny as a rail, I do know that my body is stronger and my mind is more focused. After all, I'm not training to lose weight, I'm training to complete the ride. That means feeding my muscles, lest they consume themselves and I get weaker over the season instead of stronger.

My ride updates have focused so much on the riding, almost to the exclusion of the reason I ride. In that, I've been remiss. The physical and mental challenges I've undertaken have been completely voluntary. Had I wanted or needed to, I could have jumped off the merry-go-round at any time and gone back to lolling about on Saturday mornings, taking my dog to the beach and, oh, I don't know, getting errands done. Shopping at the Farmers' Market and brewing beer. (What do people do on Saturdays, anyway?).

Cancer patients don't have the option of quitting: “This chemo makes me nauseous and exhausted and bald. I think I'll skip today's treatment.” As the saying goes, cancer patients are in it to win it. The “choice” was thrust upon each one--a far cry from me signing a waiver and showing up for the first training ride. Cancer doesn't quit just because you got a new job and it's taking up all your time. Or you decide to put your house on the market and you need your Saturdays. It doesn't quit because you've lost your job or gotten married. It doesn't quit just because your partner got pregnant. Or the waiting list for that prize Irish Setter pup just opened up. Or for your divorce. Cancer patients are fighting cancer through all of these life events. Families of cancer patients don't have the option either. One of our team honorees, Becky, talks about how hard it was to see her family go through the stress of her cancer. How it affected them, too. Wanting to give support to Becky, yet needing it as well, and Becky wasn't in any shape to give it back.

One of the reasons I support the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society is its far reaching web of support. From a patient's co-pay, a family's hotel room or research grants which have led to measurable results and effective treatments, LLS uses at least 75% of every donation dollar directly towards its mission. I think that's pretty awesome.



No comments: