Monday, February 27, 2012

52 hours...

Not that I'm counting.

But approximately 52 hours until I can don my walgreen's readers (duane reade to you new york types) and scroll through pages of posts... How long would it take to read a month's worth of status updates? And if I followed all the links, listened to every song (which I rarely did anyway), read every article, looked at every photo... What's the facebook etiquette on commenting on a post that's 4 weeks old?

How to approach 12:01AM March 1st? Do I post right away? Should I sneak on and be wunnadem lurkers? Slip in quietly in the wee hours like nuthin' happened, like a teenager who has stayed out far past his curfew?

I met a friend tonight for a short supper and a beer and some nice conversation. She asked me about my month off. I've been pondering it for the past several days. I'd have to say it's been eye opening and somewhat disappointing. Facebook has replaced ordinary email (which replaced ordinary snail mail) as the means of communicating. The world of communication has been reduced to bits. Shorthand. Snippets of conversations.

The people who always emailed me still emailed me. A few picked up the old keyboard and responded to emails. Some said thanks for letting me know - see you in March. And plenty didn't notice or didn't have the means to contact me because my email disappeared. A few realized later that I was gone and sought me out (thank you!). And a few followed me here (yay!).

It has been an interesting experiment, but I'll be back on facebook, just not as much. I don't think I'll shout so much into the wind.

I hope I can resurrect those scrabble games. I was winning.

No comments: